SEO Copywriting – a guide for small businesses
Small business owners don’t always have the budget to hire a copywriter to create Search Engine Optimized (SEO) copy for their websites.
SEO is the process of growing the traffic & visibility of your site thought “organic” (free) search engine results.
SEO Copywriting is about creating content that can be structured in a way that Search Engines understand as well as in a way that helps to keep visitors on your page and convert them into clients/customers.
SEO Copywriting needs to:
- engage your readers & build trust in your product or service
- make use of your keywords and page structure (Headings, Sub-Headings, Bullet Points or numbered lits) to help Google understand your content better and as a result, place your website higher up the SERP (Search Engine Results Page
We may not all be able to afford a professional copywriter, but by following the steps outlined below you making great strides into creating content for your website that will reduce bounce rate & boost visibility & performance
Who are you writing for?
You need to ensure you use the correct language and tone. You need to strike a chord with your ideal target audience.
- “Who is your ideal target audience”
- “Which customers do you love to work with”
- “Which customers do you make the most profit from”
- “What problems do you solve for them”
What is your main goal
Be clear what you want to achieve from your website. You may have more than one goal – but beware of trying to achieve too much as your message may get lost. Stick to one “Call To Action” (CTA) per page
Do you want to get direct enquiries
- To build an email list?
- Covert social media links
- Get people to phone your business
- Drive traffic from Search Engines
- Push people into a sales funnel
Why You – What is your USP?
What makes you different or stand out from your competition. Use your personal as well as business circumstances to connect with would-be clients.
- Are you a mom/dad working around your kids’ busy schedules
- Do you offer a unique service or product
- Are you experienced in a particular are
- Are you a large company or a small one
- Are you the most affordable
“Why would someone choose to go with you over your main competitor?”
Come up with a list of potential search terms used by clients to find your business or service on Google.
Focus on “long-tail” keywords of 4 or more words in a string (eg. “sports massage therapist in Exeter”).
“Long-tail” keywords have less competition but still offer a good rank in SERP (Search Engine Results Position).
To start identifying keywords relevant to your topic, why not visit your competition’s website(s) and investigate what keywords they are using. Once you start writing – use the identified keywords in your headings and sub-headings.
Plan your pages. The structure is the foundation of your website. It dictates how all the pages are connected to each other via links.
A good structure will make your website more readable and easier for Search Engines to crawl.
NOTE: You have 3 seconds for visitors to find what they are looking for on your homepage or they tend to “bounce” off to another website.
When supplying your content to your website designer, ensure you have clear headings with the content broken down page-by-page and be sure to include details about your desired Call-To-Action (CTA)
To plan your site, use a tool like GlooMaps to help you visulaise you page stucture. You can then share this with your web designer
Keeping your visitor interested is critical. Don’t use long sentences. Bounce rates will increase if your website uses verbose language. You have 3 seconds to grab someone’s attention. Keep things short, sweet & keyword rich.
Focus on the benefit to your customer and aim to answer these sort of questions
- Why do they need your service
- What problem does it solve
- How is your service better than your competitor
- How is their life going to get better if they use your product/service
- How you will solve your customers’ problems
- DON’T SAY: I work quickly and efficiently
- INSTEAD SAY: Do you need a quick efficient service? With an average turnaround time of 5 working days….
Check your written content:
Check your spelling & grammer
Check for plagiarism